What is Native Advertising?
Native Advertising was first proposed by Fred Wilson says it is not a form of advertising but a marketing concept. In short, a native ad is “a special kind of media forms designed to allow advertising to become part of the content.” It is an ad on a website or platform while maintaining the format and editorial style of the rest of the information on the site, to conclude on the definition it is not the traditional display advertising formats, but integrated online ads on pages using the contents as an advertising medium.
Forms of Native Advertising
Native advertising can be a video, pictures, articles, music, or other forms of media. The “content marketing “is also a native of another form of advertising, Often you see at the end of the article saying ” Other articles you might be interested in, “in which some of which may be the companies paid by. Native advertising does not refer specifically to a particular form of advertising, but an advertising concept. According to their media properties, flexibility finds a balance between media features, user experience, and advertiser effectiveness and is a win-win situation for all.
Latest trend but old concept!
It’s the latest trend in advertising and is being quite liked my many advertisers and consumers too, the concept is quite simple by providing content of interest to users of a medium or information platform so that the content is consistent with content and user experience of that environment or platform. In simple words, providing branding content around the website relevant content which is likely to be read by users as of same interest and thereby giving more exposure thus indirectly advertising the product or brand. But to the actual fact, the native advertising is not something completely new. The concept of sponsored content has been managed for decades in TV, magazines, newspapers, and radio; but now it’s famous online and catching the interest of advertisers.
This is working great as it doesn’t look like some external ad on the website which many users on the site ignore having a feel of external or looking it at as a promotional stuff, but with native ads the feel is different as it’s not an ad but recommended content giving more insight about the relevant product.
An important aspect of Native advertising is that to be effective it must be consistent with the format and user experience. For example, if you hire native advertising on a site whose contents consist purely computer graphics, then you had better the content you provide is also infographic. Having said that the content and format should be similar to expect from editorial content, it is important that the native advertising should be clearly identified as such (typically by a legend of “Featured Content”). On one hand, this has to do with caring ethics and credibility of the media in question, but the other side can even help increase advertising effectiveness. Yes, the native advertising (when properly executed) causes the following effect: When a user goes to a website that likes / respects and sees that a brand is providing valuable and interesting to the site content, and supporting it financially so that I can survive, this creates a positive perception in the user toward that mark.
There are two types of Native Advertisings such as Indoor and Outdoor:
This applies to brands that create content or profiles within existing platforms (for example Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest) and then promote the content using the same look and feel of the platform on which it is located.
It should be noted that this is all working manually within the possibilities offered by the platform.
This content is created by the brand outside of any existing framework. The content is then distributed through third-party services (company) on different platforms. These third-party services adapting content to different styles and formats, depending on the platform on which the content will be published.
There are many different companies that offer this kind of service and most other than the publication of content on different platforms also offers a publication on the different types of devices in a variety of formats.
Open type of Native Advertising-offers the level of automation that you do not have at closed.
Features of Native Advertising:
- Value of the contents: Native advertising is valuable for the audience to provide meaningful content, rather than simply advertising information, but this information can provide users meet their lifestyle, lifestyle information.
- The original nature of content: The content and presentation of the implant does not destroy the harmony of the page itself, rather than to grab the attention of consumers and unexpected presents, destroy the harmony of the picture.
- The user’s initiative: User willing to read, willing to share, willing to participate. Rather than simply “to me so far,” the advertising communication, but each user can become interactive sharing formula diffusion point spread.
- Visual integration: The ad building in user experience among
- User-driven: advertising does not interrupt the user experience, no interference;
- Content is king: Brand to push the real value to the user’s content.
Importance of native advertising:
The true fact is everyone is running out of time and is in search of quick answers to anything, so when a user is searching something online any related information grabs the interest of user else wise everything is ignored. The fact is with the development of society, the consumers have become smart and believe in their own finding of the brand or product before making a final call, they tend to
find relevant information on their own using different channels where online being an easy platform now. Thus making use of native ads is a great success as it looks like internal related stuff to the user giving positive remark to the reader.
Difference between Native Advertising and Content Marketing/Advertising:
|1.||Ad Format – Look and feel of the third party website||Ad Format – Same format as companies own website as posted in the same domain|
|2.||Hosted – Content is hosted on third party website or platforms like facebook, BuzzFeed , etc.||Hosted – Content is hosted on brand’s own website or blog.|
|3.||Involvement – Third party involvement is necessary||Involvement – No third party involvement is there as everything is self-managed and hosted at own domain|
|4.||Look and feel – Sponsored posts which can be in a form of text, image, video||Look and feel – Mainly text with images, videos or charts|
|5.||Costing – Content creation and ad space costing is involved||Costing – No ad space costing as no third party involvement is there|
Examples of Native ads are:
- Sponsored videos: The video recommendations in search results. Platforms – YouTube, Vice
- Sponsored Playlists: Playlists cover photos can be linked to URL’s, playlists can be created by companies. Platforms – Spotify, iTunes
- Sponsored posts: Posts produced by companies blend into original content. Platforms – Facebook, Twitter
- Sponsored Stories: Stories produced by companies mix with other content. Platforms – Mashable, Atlantic
- Sponsored Listings: Advertised listings are shown in search results. Platforms – Amazon, eBay
- Sponsored links: Promoted links appear within search results. Platforms – Google, Bing
Native Advertising Challenges:
- Ad Standards – No set standards or performance benchmarks yet exist for most forms of this new advertising category
- Product Efficiency -Unlike display ads, native advertising often requires creative management to tailor content to best serve the user
- User Trust – Publishers can maintain user trust by creating content that adds value and by refraining from disgusting ads
- Brand Integrity – Presenting brand integrity may mean turning down easy money gained in the short term through brand partnerships
Reason for the success of Native Advertising:
- The major use of ad blockers in the browser
- The downfall of CTR with time – Fact is 99.8% of banner ads are ignored and the pre-roll skip rates are rapidly increasing
- Much liked concept by Advertisers
- Performance – No benchmark has been yet finalized but the performance is far better than the normal display ads
- Relevancy – Display ads are shown on some website has no relevance to the page but with native, it’s always relevant which is of great interest and likeliness by the users too.
- User’s experience – Far positive then display banners, people show interest interacting with native ads
- Native Ads can be displayed easily on small mobile screens, which further increases their relevance
Disadvantages of native advertising:
- Cost Intensive
- Time Consuming
- Ad Blockers may start blocking the same
- A customer once get used to the concept, may start ignoring and as it’s a time consuming and costly may lead to failure soon
6 thoughts on “Native Advertising”
Can you also include some info on Native Ads in Mobile ? May be in detail ?
Ok, will add them soon
What SAM stands for. This is the machine to define which party to serve an a native ad?
Where do you see the word SAM?
Is custom targeting done for native ads
Yes, definitely, with the technology all kinds of targeting is possible in Native too. You can check out the below link for some reference targeting options available with Taboola: